Professor Lawrence Kohan
Orthopaedic Surgeon (Hip & Knee)
MBBS (HONS), PhD, FRACS (ORTHO)
Professor Lawrence Kohan is an eminently experienced orthopaedic surgeon specialising in joint replacement and reconstruction procedures of the hip and knee.
Prof Kohan utilises the latest minimally invasive techniques in hip and knee surgery. He routinely performs Anterior Minimally Invasive Surgery for total hip replacement procedures, is actively involved in training and education, and is committed to ongoing medical research in order to facilitate the best recovery and outcome for his patients following surgery.
Prof Kohan was one of the pioneers of minimally invasive hip surgery in Australia some 15+ years ago and now has one of the longest series of patients standing at 1,400+ anterior hip procedures performed to-date.
The minimally invasive anterior approach to hip surgery is a more technically demanding operation to perform, but it offers patients a wider range of benefits such as being able to walk the very next day, smaller scaring, decreased post-operative pain, decreased blood loss, usually only one night stay in hospital, faster return to work and less risk of dislocation long-term. The data Indicates that selecting a surgeon with high case volume experience in performing the anterior approach to hip surgery confers a benefit for the patient too.
Career & Case Volume Experience
- 35+ years experience as a Sydney orthopaedic surgeon
- 5,000+ hip operations completed
- 4,500+ knee operations completed
Qualifications & Awards
- PhD (Science), Thesis; “Surgical aspects, finite element analysis & x-ray correlation of femoral neck changes in the osteoarthritic hip and hip resurfacing surgery”
- Travelling Fellow of the Western Pacific Orthopaedic Association
- Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons (FRACS), Orthopaedic Surgery
- Royal Australian College of Surgeons Primary Examination – Awarded ‘The Gordon Taylor Prize’ for highest marks
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (Honours), University of Sydney
- St Luke’s Private Hospital, Elizabeth Bay
- Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Randwick
- St George Private Hospital, Kogarah
Memberships & Societies
- Member, Australian Sports Medicine Federation
- Member, The Medico-Legal Society of NSW
- Member, Australian Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- Member, Australian Knee Society
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- International Affiliate Member, Medical Board Travelling Fellowship
- Member, Western Pacific Orthopaedic Association
- Member, Australian Medical Association
- Member, Australian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, Australian Association of Surgeons
- Member, Australian Military Medicine Association